Wimba Pronto is an instant messaging application that allows audio and text conferencing. It is integrated into Blackboard and is automatically populated with a list of courses a user is enrolled in.
Some of the features of Wimba Pronto include:
- voice conferencing
- text messaging
- group chat
- automatic population of Blackboard courses, instructors, and classmates
- instant access to campus services
- instant school-wide notifications
- universal accessibility
Download Wimba Pronto using the following simple steps:
- Log in to Blackboard at NIU (http://webcourses.niu.edu).
- Click on any of the courses you are teaching or taking.
- Click on Tools in the course menu.
- Click on Wimba Pronto to setup your account, download, and install software on your computer.
Examples of a few possible applications of Wimba Pronto in an educational environment include:
- Fostering on-demand, informal communication from student-to-student and student-to-instructor
- Supporting the 21st-century students who are increasingly relying on instant access to information
- Using live online communication to provide revision sessions for students needing extra help or optional assessment preparation sessions
- Offering peer-to-peer “coffee breaks” or optional study sessions for students to network and learn from each other’s experiences
- Promoting student project collaboration; the ability of students to see who is online from their classes or groups enables instant collaboration by chat or voice conferencing
- Offering online office hours with voice and text messaging
To learn more about Wimba Pronto, please visit the support page at http://www.wimba.com/products/wimba_pronto/.
The Faculty Development and Instructional Design Center offers various programs regarding the principles and practices of incorporating collaborative technologies, including Wimba Classroom, in teaching. The current program schedule and online registration information is always available at http://www.niu.edu/facdev/programs/fscurrent.shtml