After a successful pilot and limited release during Summer 2012, Blackboard Collaborate is now available campus wide in all Blackboard courses and communities.
Blackboard Collaborate™ gives you the functionality you need in a 21st century teaching and learning environment, such as two-way audio, multi-point video, interactive whiteboard, application and desktop sharing, rich media, breakout rooms, and session recording. Educators and students can engage as if they were in a traditional classroom, with as good as, or even better,
Some of the new web conference features now available as compared to Wimba Classroom (NIU’s previous web conference tool integrated in Blackboard) include:
- Completely redesigned user interface for an improved user experience
- Web tour, allowing for moderator to show web pages to participants and maintain control
- Audio buffering, allowing for better audio quality
- Up to 6 simultaneous video streams
- Ability for end user to change video quality
- Countdown timer
- Annotations on whiteboard persist throughout session
- Multimedia presentation tool
- Mobile app (coming fall 2012) allowing students to fully participate from iPhone or iPad
To see Blackboard Collaborate in action, short demos are available here.
Faculty Development and Instructional Design Center will be offering a 3-hour hands-on workshop titled, Promoting Online Collaboration with Blackboard Collaborate on August 27, 2012. During this hands-on workshop, participants will receive an overview of the features of Blackboard Collaborate and step-by-step assistance with creating and managing Blackboard Collaborate sessions within Blackboard. More details and registration information are available here.