Blackboard Learn, the course management system utiilized by Northern Illinois University faculty, staff, teaching assistants, and students, continues to be an important platform for facilitating teaching at learning at NIU, with over 97% of students and 82% of teaching faculty using the system during Fall 2012. Over the past several years, there have been significant upgrades implemented to the system which have added many new features as well as an improved overall user experience.
The next upgrade to Blackboard Learn at NIU scheduled for June 8, 2013 will provide an even more user friendly and modern experience for students and faculty alike. Educators and students were in fact the driving force behind the development of the latest release, with nearly nearly 640 institutions, including NIU, as well as over 600 educators and nearly 600 students contributing to the development process. This has made Blackboard Learn simply better for educators and students.
Many existing features have been improved and some exciting new features added to make the user experience more efficient. The following is a quick overview of the tools that you can expect to be using soon.
Take a Peek at What’s New
New features include:
- New Content Editor: Vastly improves the user experience for formatting text, pasting content from Word, and more.
- Assessment Item Analysis: Provides statistics on overall test performance on individual test questions.
- Assessment Fill-in-the-Blank Question Enhancement: Fill-in-the-Blank and Fill-in-Multiple-Blanks questions now offers regular expression options for grading answers.
- My Blackboard: Create your own profile and discover and interact with others in your academic network.
- Inline Assignment Grading: View, annotate, and grade student-submitted files “inline” without the need to download any files.
- Retention Center: Identify at-risk students by using pre-configured rules or by creating your own.
- New Calendar: Sporting a new UI, the new calendar now integrates fully into your courses. Never miss an assignment again.
- Blackboard Drive: View, edit, and manage your Content System files right from your desktop.
For a complete listing of new features coming in Blackboard 9.1 SP10/11, visit http://www.niu.edu/blackboard/upgrade/features.shtml or sign-up to attend an upcoming workshop, details at http://www.niu.edu/blackboard/upgrade/workshops.shtml