NIU has established a new institutional award to encourage and honor outstanding online and hybrid teaching. The Excellence in Online Teaching Award recognizes NIU faculty and instructors whose performance exemplifies a commitment to excellence in online teaching, course development and student engagement.
All those who teach online or hybrid courses (tenured and tenure-track faculty members, instructors, and teaching staff) are eligible. There is no limit as to the number of nominees from any department/program or college. Self-nominations are allowed and encouraged.
Award recipients will receive a plaque and $2,000 one-time stipend.
Nominees for the Excellence in Online Teaching Award should demonstrate:
- Exceptional effort to ensure the quality of the students’ online learning environment.
- High standards for the rigor and currency of course content and the level of student performance.
- Innovation in online course development and delivery of for-credit courses.
- Direct and significant impact upon the involvement with online students.
- Demonstrated dedication to enhancing online teaching skills, improving online curriculum and/or advancing research opportunities in the area of online education.
- Evidence that the candidate’s contributions have enhanced effectiveness in the online learning environment.
Deadline for nominations is Friday, March 5, 2021. See go.niu.edu/online-teaching-award for more details and to submit a nomination.